Friday, November 8, 2013

REVIEW: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3)
Author: Cassandra Clare Website Twitter Facebook
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Release Date: March 19, 2013
Pages: 570 (it’s a hefty one)
Buy It! amazon
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Summary from Goodreads: A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.


Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.


As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?


Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.


First Thoughts: Great ending to a great series! I’m actually kind of sad that it’s over because I’ve loved these characters more and more with each book. Heartbreaking, action-packed, and thrilling up until the very end!


I’m going to try not to give too much away for those who haven’t finished this series yet (add all three books to your TBR pile right now), but what a beautifully perfect ending to this trilogy. I know that the “it” factor in YA fiction right now is love triangles (kind of getting overdone), however, all authors should take note of the way Cassandra Clare wrote hers. Yes, Tessa loves both Will and Jem, and yes, Tessa can’t be with both, and yet, it’s not a fight for her love. Instead, we see love between all three characters. It’s as if one can’t exist without the other two. Their relationships are heartbreaking and yet so wonderful at the same time. They kind of made my heart swoon a bit.


Now boys, I’m sure you’re thinking “Romance? No thanks!”, but don’t let my swooning heart fool you; this book is extremely action-packed. The fight between the Shadowhunters and Mortmain comes to a seriously climactic ending in this series-closer. This is a hefty book, and yet, there is not one dull moment. I finished late into the night (2am-ish), because I just couldn’t put it down. Clare’s writing and pace makes the story fly by, almost sadly so, since it’s the end. As a reader, I was constantly on my toes, never knowing what to expect - I love books that do that (well, who doesn’t?). The automatons, the demons, the Silent Brothers - so other-worldly, and yet I can picture them perfectly. I’ve never fully understood steampunk, but apparently this is it. So, I guess I’m a fan. Who knew? I’ll say it again: I really want to be a Shadowhunter, besides the fact that I’m extremely weak and pathetic and would get my butt kicked all the time.


I’m not really sure how to convey my love for this series, so I will end with my favorite quote from the book - the truth in it, even with the heartbreak, still gives me goosebumps:


“There are some things worst than death.
Not to be loved or not to be able to love.”


Final Thoughts: Definitely a top read of the summer, probably of the year, and will be a prominent recommendation to readers of all kinds. I’m still amazed at the perfectness of the ending; it’s bittersweet and yet, I can’t imagine it ending any other way. Love!


Who Should Read It? If you like well-developed, realistic characters, read this book. If you like mystery, magic, science fiction, or fantasy (and even if you don’t like any of those), read this book. If you are looking for characters and a story to carry you through a series, read this book. Trust me, just read this book! Well, start with the first and second books, and then read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment