Monday, November 25, 2013

It's Monday! What are You Reading?

It’s Monday! What are you Reading? (#IMWAYR) is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys with a kid/YA-lit spin hosted by Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts.


Past Reads: It’s been quite awhile since I’ve posted my Monday reading...crazy time at school lately. Even though I haven’t posted, I’ve done some AMAZING reading (not quantity, but quality). I finished two life-changing books! I know that sounds over-the-top and cheesy, but in reality these books have changed my outlook on life and how I look at other people. If you haven’t already done so, you need to immediately drop everything and read Reality Boy by A.S. King and Wonder by R.J. Palacio. I cannot say enough about these two books...seriously, read them!

Reality Boy Wonder Ghost Hawk Tell the Wolves I'm Home


I also finished Ghost Hawk by Susan Cooper; this one was seriously slow-moving for me. I got into the last third of the book, but I came so close to abandoning this one, and I never abandon books. It’s not my kind of book at all, which isn’t to say others won’t enjoy it. Too bad, too, because I was really excited about trying something different.

Another book I picked up based on recommendations was Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. I really enjoyed this book; it actually reminded me of a more modern To Kill a Mockingbird. I know this sounds sacrilegious, but I think we should look into teaching this instead of Mockingbird.

Current Reads: I’m just starting The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black. I’ve read some AMAZING reviews, so I’m really excited to start it. I’m not normally a vampire-story reader (Twilight was not my thing at all), but I think this book might be my kind of thing. This is also my first young adult Holly Black read, which I’m super-stoked about (read her middle grade Doll Bones earlier this year).

Here’s the goodreads summary of the book:
The Coldest Girl in ColdtownTana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.

I’m also slowly working my way through The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I’m reading it alongside an APLAC student for a nonfiction reading project she’s working on. It was slow going at first, but I’m really starting to get into it. I LOVE the Holmes serial-killer chapters, and I’ve actually started getting into the World’s Fair chapters as well - admittedly, I skimmed those to get to the Holmes chapters early on in the reading process. We’ll be done next week, and I’m glad I can finally cross this off my reading bucket list.

Future Reads: Based on my library checkouts, here’s what’s next: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick, Mind Games by Kiersten White, Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff, and Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles. I am SO looking forward to Thanksgiving break for some reading-filled couch-time. Nothing better than being curled up with a bowl of Thanksgiving leftovers and a good book!

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)    Picture Me Gone    Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)


What are you reading? What have you just finished? What are your top recommendations? Leave me a comment as I'm always looking for books to add to my To-Be-Read list!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh I just got Reality Boy in the mail and I can't wait to read it! I'm definitely going to soon :) Glad to hear that you endorse it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I have to get a copy of Reality Boy, too. Looking forward to reading your reviews of those Thanksgiving Break book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how books can be described as life-changing because they truly are. My 11 year old daughter read Wonder last year and loved it. I have to find Reality Boy by AS King soon. Thanks for sharing all the books that you're reading! :)

    ReplyDelete